Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Get Down with the Sickness

(I stole a page from Chrissy's book and used a song title for my post title... it's too fun not to!)

They warned me before I started treatments that it would be much harder to fight off a cold and they weren't kidding! I started feeling sick on St. Patrick's Day. Like sick sick. The week leading up to that, I was certain it was just allergies. Then we take Chase to get his hair cut, go out to breakfast, and by the time we get home, I've got a slight fever and my throat is killing me. So Chase and I kick back and have a lazy day of watching classic Disney movies (read: Mommy puts on the movies and falls asleep on the couch while he destroys the living room! It was pretty funny to watch him dancing to the songs from the Jungle Book, though.) By Tuesday, my voice is gone. Thursday morning comes and I'm still feeling awful (which is very unusual for me; usually 3 days, 5 tops, and I'm back to myself) so I call the doctor. They have me come in early for my bloodwork so that I can see the doctor. She tells me my throat is very inflamed but there aren't any signs of strep (yay!) and prescribes a Z-pack. Now, I've heard all about these Z-packs from friends and they're supposed to be A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! So I'm thinking this thing'll be gone by Saturday, Sunday at the very latest. Oh, guess who was wrong again?!? I literally had NO voice. To talk, I had to whisper and it was extremely painful. I had to call out from work on Monday, which I just hate doing, especially knowing that I'm going to be out Thursday and Friday for treatment. I was not missing Tuesday because we were going on a field trip to the Tarpon Springs Aquarium, so I had to whisper my instructions to my chaperones. When I woke up today, I just knew that my voice was back! I could feel the huge lump that had been in my throat was gone and the scratchiness was down to a minimum. I would've sang, but didn't want to wake up Chase! But it took 2 weeks to kick that cold. I do not want to go through that again, so guess who's going to be the hand-washing police at school? This lady right here!

1 comment:

  1. you are incredible....just in case i haven't told you lately! i'm so proud of you and love your writings! i love you, jaebird!!!

    ReplyDelete