Thursday, May 31, 2012

Round 8 *ding ding*

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

Now that I got that out, today was round 8 of 8! I am done with chemo!!! My counts were looking good, so I got the go-ahead to finish. I spoke with my oncologist beforehand about some numbness I have in my right hand. Before, I had tingling in my fingertips. Now, I have no feeling in my index and middle fingers. It makes getting my blood draw nice because I can't feel it at all, but it gets frustrating when I'm trying to type or write or pick something up and drop it because I didn't have a good grip. She said it's a normal side effect of the vincristine and since it's my last round, she didn't want to change my dosage. She said to try not to worry too much about it because it's usually temporary (phew!) She also scheduled my follow-up for my PET scan. Scan on June 26th then meeting with the oncologist and the radiological oncologist on July 3rd (just in case she suggests radiation therapy so that I can ask questions). Here's my thing, though: if by some miracle the chemo didn't make me sterile, the radiation will, so is surgery an option? Her answer: yes! She even suggested that I call and make an appointment with the gynecological oncologist who did my early testing (yes, the one with the Bieber haircut!) because he does hysterectomies. She said to make the appointment now so I don't have to wait come July. So best case scenario: my cancer's all gone and I don't have to do anything else. Worst case scenario: my cancer's mostly gone and I get a hysterectomy. Let me tell you, I'm not very upset about that. You're taking out the only parts of me that had cancer? It'll make my probability of recurrence go down? No more periods? Sign me up!

My time in the chair was pretty short today. They had me in and out by 2:30, the earliest yet! I had some really nice conversations with some of the ladies in the other chairs. We had the nurses rolling! We were talking about how our hair was starting to come back, how it made us worry that the chemo wasn't working, how one of the ladies tried false eyelashes and couldn't understand how some people did that every day, how unfair it was that I'm still shaving my legs! After they left, two more ladies came in and I got to talk with them about school because they both worked in the school system here before they started treatment. I had some really fantastic conversations with the nurses about their children and some other things. It made me realize that I'm going to miss them. I knew from the beginning how wonderful they were, but I thought I'd be so happy to be done with chemo that I wouldn't miss anything about it. I was wrong. I told them that I still had appointments every week for my CBC and that I lived close enough to visit. They weren't getting rid of me that easily!

3 comments:

  1. can i just tell you how proud i am of you?!? i am sure you have touched so many strangers lives, because you don't KNOW a stranger (even tho i can still see you as a toddler singing "there's a stranger in my hou-ouse!)
    how you have turned your "chemo days" into productive, friend-making opportunities is amazing! i would have done anything to have taken this disease in my body so it wouldn't be in yours, but i don't think i could ever handle the situation with the style, humor, grace, and elegance that my lovely daughter has.
    i love you, jayme dale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with you more, Melody! Reading how positive you have stayed through everything, Jayme, really makes me want to be a better person! I can't believe the nit-picky things I complain about daily and then I read your blog and it makes me smile and laugh out loud and leaves me feeling more positive about life then I felt before. And all the while you're dealing with something that I can't even imagine. You're truly and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jayme! I'm so glad the chemo is done! Praying for good outcomes from next tests. Can't top what Mom & Marie have said, so I'll just say DITTO! LOL! I love you and so proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete