Tuesday, December 13, 2011

MORE Surgery and Scans

My dad keeps joking that I'm glowing in the dark. This is due to the fact that I keep getting injected with radioactive materials for scans. I had a MUGA scan for my heart to make sure it was healthy enough to start treatment. I had a PET scan to make sure that the cancer hadn't spread to other parts of my body that we weren't already aware of (which, finally some good news, it hadn't!) I also had surgery to have an infusaport put in. It's a catheter that goes up into a vein in my neck and has a large round circle at the end. Here's an example:

Blood can be drawn from it and they'll be able to hook right into it when I have to start chemo. I was sold when they told me that not only would it prevent my veins from collapsing from being repeatedly poked, but that some of the chemo treatments I would be receiving could cause serious damage if it somehow leaked from the vein. The round part is just above my heart and under my collar bone while the catheter goes up the vein in my neck. It's pretty close to the surface so that it can be easily accessed and I'm still trying to get used to the feeling of it under my skin.

2 comments: